I knew I had found her

 


“The person that would judge me, had changed into a warm empathic person who stands by my side and cheers for my milestones along the way. I knew I had found her.”



Sometimes it can take a while to find the psychotherapist or coach that suits you. 

I was 21, halfway university, when I first went to a therapist. A break-up had triggered former grief -the loss of my mother at age 11 -I hadn’t dealt with yet. The only therapist I knew was the one from my recent ex-boyfriend, an older man. I was motivated, yet I went only a few times. This whole thing just stayed awkward.


At the end of my Masters, I applied to study psychotherapy. I was too young, I needed to wait 1 year. In the meantime, I decided to volunteer abroad. When I arrived in Greece, I felt that I needed to continue this therapy process I never finished. This time a colleague referred me to a body-psychotherapist.


The person that would judge me, had changed into a warm empathic person who stands by my side and cheers for my milestones along the way. I knew I had found her...


My therapist for the following 6 months. She challenged and questioned me, made me do things I would never have imagined. It was new, it did not always feel comfortable. It moved me, it shook me, it touched me. But as I trusted her and I felt safe, I could do more than I would ever have imagined. This was the real start of my healing process. 


When I returned to Brussels, ready for ‘real life’ -working and studying- I looked for another psychotherapist. This time I found her on the internet. I resonated with her background and life experiences, admired her courage; she had lived on a sailing boat and traveled for years. I hoped she would understand my desire for traveling, and the struggles to step into this ‘real serious life’. Not sure if she did, but again I felt safe, and that was what counted.


This last therapist stood by my side for about 8 years, until I decided to start my own globetrotting adventure.


Without these therapists on my path, I guess I would not be who I am now, or maybe not yet. All my gratitude to those who went before me and supported my journey.


If you are looking for the right psychotherapist, and you doubt? This is my best question: do you feel safe? As a therapy process requires you to be vulnerable. Feeling safe is key.


Your inner gut knows the answer to this one, doesn’t it?


Good luck!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pilgrimage Peyote ceremony in the Mexican Desert

Different Shades of Gray

Working in Pyamas